Student Wellness Renovation Projects
War Memorial Gym's Closing Timeline
Updated March 4, 2020
- War Memorial will be closed for spring break
- Portions of War Memorial will reopen: Intramural sports, open recreation and reserved activities will continue to take place on site Monday-Friday from 5:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. and will be closed on weekends
- Hokie Gym (weight room) will remain closed
- All programs and open facility hours will cease at 11:30 p.m. All lockers must be cleaned out by this date
Improvements to enhance health and wellness on the Virginia Tech campus will include significant renovations to War Memorial Hall and portions of McComas Hall. The renovations are part of the university’s commitment to supporting holistic student well-being through enhanced student health, wellness, counseling, and recreational sport resources and programs.
War Memorial Hall
What exactly is being renovated?
War Memorial Hall will be fully renovated with 247,600 gross square feet (GSF) of renovated space and 15,300 GSF of new building. Upon completion, War Memorial Hall will house Hokie Wellness, Recreational Sports, School of Education faculty offices, and research and office space for the Department of Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise (HNFE) that will bring together health science with hands-on application of exercise, health, and well-being.
Read more about the project here.
Temporary Reopening of War Memorial
Why is the War Memorial pool not available for open swim?
Our limitation with offering the pool for open swim is that in the quick turnaround to reopen War Memorial, we do not have time to hire and train lifeguards to the high standard we require to be able to safely operate the pool. There are open swim hours at McComas Hall all day!
Why can’t I rent a locker at War Memorial?
At this point, it is most efficient for us that we leave all lockers as daily use lockers.
Why are group exercise classes not offered at War during this time?
Unfortunately, we had already moved out and surplused all of the equipment needed for group exercise classes. We are hoping we might be able to offer a few special event classes in War Memorial. Good news is that we are offering over 110 classes a week in McComas! We encourage you to consider a McComas Hall memberships (faculty and staff) and a group exercise pass so you can take advantage of the many classes!
Will McComas Hall hours change back to what they used to be now that War is reopen?
No! McComas Hall will still be operating 5am - midnight, Monday - Friday; 8 am - 10 pm on Saturday, and 10 am - midnight on Sunday.
Can I use McComas Hall for free (faculty/staff) on the weekends since War Memorial is closed?
No. You still must have a McComas Hall membership to access the building at any time. Learn more about memberships.
How does this delay change the timeline for the renovation of War Memorial?
The delay in construction will move the anticipated completion date from Fall 2021 to Spring 2022.
How does this change impact recreation programming?
We are excited that we’ll be able to run a whole indoor season of intramural sports in War Memorial. It also gives us a place to allow many sport clubs, and other student organizations, to host practices and activities.
Can I keep my membership to McComas Hall?
Yes, absolutely! If you want to keep using McComas Hall with a faculty/staff membership, you can do that!
Is McComas Hall closing during this renovation process?
No. The renovation work happening at McComas is on the Schiffert Health Center side and will not impact Rec Sports/Fitness spaces.
Are you extending open hours at McComas?
McComas Hours are: 5am - midnight, Monday - Friday; 8 am - 10 pm on Saturday, and 10 am - midnight on Sunday.
Will there be a temporary gym opened?
A temporary structure is currently being built to house intramural sports, sport clubs and martial arts. It is set to open in the spring 2020 semester.
The purpose of the structure is to provide space for the above-mentioned reservation-based user groups, ensuring that McComas Hall will remain open entirely for free play.
Where is the structure located?
Next to the Lower SRA Fields on Beamer Way, formerly where outdoor tennis courts were located.
What type of access will the campus community have to McComas throughout the renovation process?
- Students: McComas remain open to all students.
- Memberships for Purchase: an "early bird" and "all access" memberhip will be offered to the following groups: Virginia Tech employees, retirees and long-term guests. More information about these membership can be found here.
- Daily Guest Passes: Alumni and any of the above-mentioned groups can purcahse a daily guest pass. Alumni will be reofferee membership access once War Memorial Hall's renovations are completed.
After War Memorial Renovations begin, Virginia Tech employees will have the following options for obtaining access to recreational sports' facilities and programs:
Free 14-Day McComas Trial
- All employees have access to try out McComas for one free, 14-day period during their time on staff. Free trial memberships can be started anytime during and at any point of their employment. It includes free facility access during all open hours, free group exercise classes, and free towel service. If you're interested in utilizing your free trial, please email email@example.com.
Early Bird McComas Membership
- Purchasing this membership option allows access to McComas gym from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday-Friday, in addition to full, unrestricted access on the weekends. For information on pricing and registration, visit our membership page.
All Access McComas Membership
Students who pay the recreation fee as a part of their comprehensive student fees have access to McComas Hall. If a student is not enrolled in classes, they have the option to pay the recreation fee to utilize McComas gym.
Summer Student Memberships
If a student who is not enrolled in classes during the summer sessions and has not graduated wishes to to work out in McComas Hall, they may pay the summer recreation fee (either in full - $123.00 - or by summer session - $61.50). This fee must be purchased in the Recreational Sports business office at 142 McComas Hall.
Membership information has changed for Virginia Tech Alumni, Long Term Guests, Dependents and CRC Employees. For information on pricing and registration, visit our membership page.
Progress Photo/Video Updates
The Rec Sports Fieldhouse, located across Southgate Drive from Lane Stadium, has been fully enclosed and is making great progress! Up next with the project is the instillation of utilities and flooring.
Recreational Sports will reopen War Memorial Gym temporarily during the spring semester due to construction delays. War Memorial will reopen starting on Jan. 21 and stay open until spring break.
The temporary structure set to be located tennis courts on Beamer Way has arrived and is being constructed. The completion timeline is on schedule and set to be finished early in the spring 2020 semester.
Construction is underway at the tennis courts on Beamer Way. Nets, lights and fences are down to make way for our incoming temporary structure, which will house six indoor courts for intramural sports, sport clubs and martial arts.