Facilities – McComas Hall
The McComas Hall Facility Staff is responsible for the overall safety and operation of McComas Hall and the weight room. This is accomplished through patron education and assistance, safety inspection and cleaning, and response to injuries and incidents. Ability to adopt pro-active strategies to help advance the department's safety and risk management initiatives in order to create a positive and safe environment. In addition, Recreational Sports consistently strives to create inclusive and welcoming environments, and to promote the importance of well-being and physical activity to all patrons. Ability to adopt pro-active strategies to help advance the department's safety and risk management initiatives in order to create a positive and safe environment. In addition, Recreational Sports consistently strives to create inclusive and welcoming environments, and to promote the importance of well-being and physical activity to all patrons.
- Ensure that patrons are properly attired. Athletic wear is required, including shirts. No exposed metal parts on clothing are permitted. Athletic shoes must be worn; no boots, sandals, or open toes.
- Provide assistance and information to patrons utilizing weight room and equipment.
- Demonstrate how to adjust weight lifting equipment.
- Work as a team with other facility employees to ensure the operation of a safe, clean, and fun facility.
- Ensure that patrons have a safety spotter for barbell bench press and overhead press exercises. Provide a spot if requested. If you are unsure that you will be able to spot a lift, politely inform the patron that they need to find someone who can.
- Do not allow patrons to perform barbell Olympic Lifts (snatch, clean and jerk). Only where areas are permitted.
- Ensure that collars are used on all weight bars.
- Immediately respond to injuries and accidents.
- Keep food and drink out of the weight room.
- Bags or articles of clothing not being worn are not to be carried in or stored in the Weight Room.
- Thoroughly spray and wipe down equipment with disinfectant during shift, unless assisting a patron. Focus specifically on contact areas such as pads, mats and handles.
- Report equipment failures to Facility Supervisor. This includes upholstery wear and tear, worn/broken parts, dysfunctional cardio equipment, etc.
- Ensure towel dispensers and disinfectant bottles are stocked and full. If not, notify supervisor.
- Make sure all dumbbell weights are stacked in their respective frames on the dumbbell racks when not in use.
- Keep floors clear of all weights and equipment when not in use. Weight plates on trees; cable accessories near the appropriate machines; and all extra free weight bars in a stand.
- Do not allow patrons to engage in any activities that seem unsafe.
- Participate in all in-service trainings and meetings.
- Report potential hazards and unsafe conditions immediately to the Supervisor on duty.
- Swipe in Group Exercise classes.
- Teach with encouragement and positive reinforcement
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
- Professional CPR/AED/FA, American Red Cross. We will provide within the first 60 days of employment.
- Must be about to lift up to 45 pounds.
- Stand for long periods of time.
- With reasonable accommodations.
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a program that provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet expenses related to education.
Working/Training Rate - $9.50
Application is posted in March, applicant review begins in April, interviews are mid-April and employees are notified at the beginning of May. Or until all positions are filled.
How to Apply:
Positions that are accepting applicants post job applications on recsports.vt.edu/employment.