The Lifeguard position is an entry-level role, facilitating safe and positive experiences within the aquatic centers. The lifeguard works under the direct supervision of the Aquatics professional staff, Aquatics Graduate Assistant, and Lifeguard Supervisor. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, enforce safety regulations for the protection of the pool patrons and make suggestions for new or updated regulations.
Must have the ability to adopt pro-active strategies to help advance the department's safety and risk management initiatives in order to create a positive and safe environment. In addition, Rec Sports consistently strives to create inclusive and welcoming environments, and to promote the importance of well-being and physical activity to all patrons.
Staff are encouraged to work multiple years within Aquatics to best take advantage of the significant development opportunities available. Depending on desire, they may advance to Lifeguard supervisor or a Health & Safety Instructor.
- Must be a current Virginia Tech student
- Current lifeguard certification
- Must be able to demonstrate the following Skills/Abilities
- Swim 300 yards non-stop only using front crawl and breaststroke
- Brick retrieval in deep water.
- Tread water for 2 minutes without the use of hands.
- Perform all American Red Cross Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR and AED skills
Preferred Qualifications (if applicable):
Working Rate - $13
Training Rate - $12
We hire staff twice per year (April and December commonly) and operate year-round.
How to Apply:
Positions that are accepting applicants post job applications on recsports.vt.edu/employment.