Group Exercise Supervisor
Under the direction of the Graduate Assistant for Fitness and Fitness Coordinator, the Group Exercise Supervisor provides leadership to the group exercise program and instructors. The job responsibilities include the management of the Group Exercise schedule (including When2Work, managing the google calendar, managing all sub requests), the management of studio up-keep, lead and coordinate the Group Exercise Evaluation Committee, and to deliver an excellent customer service experience to all clientele, while supporting the vision and mission of the Department of Recreational Sports and the VT Fitness Program.
This position is only open to current group exercise instructors at Virginia Tech Recreational Sports. Any other applications will not be considered.
The Group Exercise Supervisor:
- Maintains office hours (~10-12 hours per week) in addition to instructing hours.
- Acts as an engaged member of the Fitness Leadership Team by participating in weekly team meetings and a bi-weekly 1:1 meeting with the Fitness GA, Fitness Coordinator, and/or Assistant Director.
- Assist in producing group exercise schedules for summer, fall, and spring semesters, in addition to any free weeks.
- Evaluates and presents headcount numbers weekly and provides suggestions at weekly team meetings to reach yearly target number.
- Recruits, trains, and leads the evaluation committee to provide rolling evaluations to group exercise instructors each semester.
- Maintains all subs through When2Work Trade Board and communicates to all stakeholders on an instructor change.
- Maintains accurate schedule information in When2Work, Google Calendars, and TimeClock+ Scheduler (through the Fitness Graduate Assistant).
- Evaluates, researches, implements, and recommends changes to current and future incentive programs for participants and staff on a monthly basis.
- Writes, implements, and communicates pre-class announcements to group exercise instructors and posts them on studio computers.
- Serves as a Teaching Assistant to HNFE 2254: Exer Ldrshp – Group Fitness Instruction and facilitates practice sessions.
- Assists in the marketing and promotion of campaigns, programs, and events.
- Assists in audition critique of applicants for hire in December and May during finals week.
- Serves as a role model for instructors by teaching weekly GX classes, subbing, attending other classes, learning new formats, obtaining additional certifications etc.
- Maintain nationally accredited group exercise instructor certification, Les Mills™ or Yoga RYT certification, and American Red Cross Adult/Infant/Child CPR, AED, and First Aid certifications.
- Serves as a liaison and communicates regularly to participants through face-to-face and email communication.
- Participates in professional development opportunities such as conferences, certifications, and workshops.
- Attends the fitness leadership team retreat, supervisor cohort training, and applicable workshops.
- Attends, leads, and plans for all mandatory meetings and in-services.
- Maintains communication with all areas of VT Fitness and Recreational Sports facilities and programs.
- Be active team member and/or leader in all major special events.
Primary Skills Necessary
- Critical thinking and decision making
- Constructing reports and public speaking
- Managing time and meeting deadlines
- Learning programs such as Microsoft Excel, Word Processor, PowerPoint, iPad Check-In system, Google Calendar, When2Work, and Fusion.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
- At least one specialty certification (Les Mills™, Registered Yoga Teacher, Zumba®, Spinning/Keiser Cycling, Mat Pilates)
- Adult/Child/Infant CPR, AED, and First Aid Certification
- Previous experience on the Group Exercise Evaluation Committee
- One year experience as a group exercise instructor