Facilities – McComas Hall
The department of Recreational Sports is currently hiring facility staff to safely operate and provide customer service throughout McComas Hall. To promote a safe environment, primary responsibilities include immediate emergency, incident, and injury response, enforcement of gym policies, and promptly reporting any equipment issues to supervisor on shift. Staff duties also involve maintaining cleanliness and organization of gym areas, frequently checking paper towels and sanitizing spray stations, monitoring and disposing of trash when needed, and ensuring that all exercise equipment is stored in its designated area. Facility staff provides friendly and professional customer service to gym patrons through several tasks such as checking in group exercise classes, assisting with questions or requests, scanning patrons into the gym while enforcing access regulations, and processing transactions for gym services and memberships. All staff members are expected to attend team meetings and training sessions to stay up to date with current policies and procedures. Rec Sports strives to create inclusive and welcoming spaces that promote the importance of well-being and physical activity to all patrons. Facility staff participates in this goal by adopting proactive strategies put forth to help advance the department’s safety and risk management initiatives, creating a more positive and safer environment. Students who successfully take on the role of facility staff at McComas Hall should incorporate all these aspects in their daily work.
- Must be enrolled at Virginia Tech
- Must be able to lift up to 45 pounds
- Able to manage multiple job duties at once (multi-task)
- Working knowledge of Rec Sports facilities and programs
- Certified in CPR/First Aid/AED (with the opportunity to be trained on-site)
- Prior customer service experience
- Comfortability with navigating and processing payments through a transaction system
- Complete on-boarding trainings
- Perform facility tours that engage and inform patrons
- Be able to manage conflict and have good problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Hard-working and friendly demeanor
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a program that provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet expenses related to education.
Working/Training Rate - $12.00/hour
Typical Hiring Timeline:
If this position is hiring, you can view a more precise application timeline on this page
- Applications open mid-February and close early April.
- Emails are sent soon after to schedule interviews, and interviews are conducted mid-April
- Candidates will be notified by the end of April
How to Apply:
Positions that are accepting applicants post job applications on recsports.vt.edu/employment.