Business Office Assistant
Business Office Assistants on the Membership Services team within the Department of Recreational Sports at Virginia Tech support in the day-to-day operations of the main business office. Position responsibilities include providing exceptional customer service to all patrons by answering programming questions through in-person interactions and phone calls, oversee new member application and account creation, registering and processing payments for memberships and services, and assisting in routine office tasks such as copying, filing, and other administrative opportunities. In addition, Rec Sports consistently strives to create inclusive and welcoming environments, and to promote the importance of well-being and physical activity to all patrons. Ability to adopt pro-active strategies to help advance the department's safety and risk management initiatives in order to create a positive and safe environment. Students who successfully take on the role of the Business Office Assistant should incorporate all of these aspects in their daily work.
- Prior customer service experience in a structured work environment
- Comfortability with navigating and processing payments through our in-house transaction system
- Pass university PCI-compliant training (included in initial staff training)
- Able to take initiative and have a “above and beyond” attitude during all shifts
- Be able to manage conflict and have good problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Hard-working and friendly demeanor
- Able to manage multiple job duties at once (multi-task)
- Working knowledge of Rec Sports facilities and programs
- Certified in CPR/First Aid/AED (opportunity to be trained on-site, if needed)
- Working Rate - $10.00/hour
- Training Rate - $9.50/hour
This is a promotion-based position. Applicants who are considered must serve as a Customer Service Attendants for one full academic year.